4255 Sandy Plains Rd,
Marietta, GA 30066
It makes sense that I would start this journey at the church that I feel most comfortable.
Unity has a Christian foundation, but welcomes people “wherever you are on your spiritual path.”
There are no images of Christ on the walls, no cross at the alter. Instead, you will find banners with the words; Joy, Wisdom, Peace, Unity, Faith, Light.
I have come to many services here and have adopted their New Year’s Eve burning bowl tradition as a family tradition. On this particular day, Carole O’Connell the founding minister of this church is the guest speaker.
The guest singer on this day sings a song of one power with lyrics that express that although we may be different in many ways, we are the same in our heart.
In today’s sermon, Carole references the Mayan calendar and the idea that the energy is shifting, systems are breaking down and there is an opportunity to create new systems. She does not offer any specific examples.
She says that in the past the dominant feeling has been fear, but that we can change that to cooperation for the betterment of the whole. She points out that when people get sucked into the fear of things, such as the end of the world or the fiscal cliff, we become part of the problem.
Carole shares her personal path with the congregation and the 3 mantras that she lives by;
1. Life is consciousness – We live in a spiritual Universe, we are spiritual beings in a human body. We are the presence of a creative God. She talks about how we are all part of one, we are not separate from our enemy and therefore we must always have compassion for others because we are all one.
2. Gratitude is the most important prayer – The fastest way to get yourself out from “feeling down” is to count your blessings. But you don’t want to be thankful just when you need a lift. It needs to be a habit.
3. Trust the process of life – means no matter what is happening we are trusting that all things are working for the good in our lives. And when you say “I don’t know” you become receptive to solutions.
Carole suggests that we get our ego out of the way and allow spirit to move through you.
She closed the service with 3 questions for us to ponder as we approach the new year.
1. Who do you want to be in 2013?
2. How would you like your life to be different in 2013?
3. How can you love yourself more in 2013?